Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights, a beautiful classic. I read this book in two days and must say that it is worth the read! Although it took a long time to get invested into the novel and the story itself I was amazed at the end. Therefore if you are considering reading the novel do not be put off at the long boring start. I promise it gets good!

The book itself is narrated by Mr Lockwood however he is listening to the story from Mrs Dean who also goes by Nelly or Ellen and so in a way there is two narrators, Mr Lockwood who is being told the story but also continues the book after the story has been told as well as Mrs Dean who is telling her story. There is something beautiful in the way Ellen tells the story. She goes into full detail and could make any short story a long and beautiful one. We all have that one relative who tells us stories which we love to hear and cannot get enough of. For me Ellen reminds me of my Great Uncle Harry he knows how to make any story interesting and engaging no matter what the story is. The detail in the way Ellen speaks is amazing and when reading you can almost feel the tension or suspense when she is talking as well as image exactly where she is talking about or picture who she is talking about. She does not miss any detail at all and there is just something so beautiful about it. However, she is talking in retrospective, similar to Nick in The Great Gatsby it made me question, is this all correct? Has anything been left out?

One of my favorite parts of the book was when Catherine and Linton were sending secret love letters to each other knowing that their parents would not approve, I love this as it reminds me of my favorite Shakespeare story Romeo and Juliet. Two lovers sneaking around and doing anything for love. There is something about a secret romance that gives me such an adrenaline! It shows determination and also tells us that if we really want something and have the right mind set we can get it...No matter what it takes.

Mr Heathcliff is a misunderstood character. When Catherine dies, he is a man with a broken heart and dealing with major trauma however he is seen as an evil character. For me I feel bad for him from time to time as no one seems to give him the time of day near the end and everyone just makes assumptions of him as to why he is the way he is. To anyone who has read Wuthering Heights let me know your thoughts in the comments or to anyone who has not read it but is considering it let me know!

Going to keep my regular theme of my blogs and end with a quote from the book "he is more myself than I'am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same"

Comments

Popular Posts