Five Feet Apart


Five Feet Apart. What an incredible book! This book was such an emotional roller-coaster. The book itself was written by  Rachel Lippincott and the movie production was by  Mikki Daughtry and Tobias Laconis. The story is based on fighters of cystic fibrosis and its aim was to raise more awareness of the illness.

There are three main characters Poe, Stella and Will and all three of them are fighting the illness in the same hospital. To begin with the layout of the book is similar to All The Bright Places as we get to see the view point of both Stella and Will however it would have been even more interesting to be able to have read about Poe's view point as I felt that as a reader I had a deeper connection with Will and Stella due to the fact I was reading about their thoughts and feelings.

Stella and Will seem like polar opposites at the start of the novel and it seems crazy to even think about them falling in love. Stella is the one who cares too much about her illness and Will is someone who doesn't seem to care enough. Until they both get to know each other and build a relationship and that was the beauty of this book. We see Will start to care about his life again and we see Stella allowing herself to focus on more things other than her illness. What really hit hard when reading this was that at one minute I was smiling at myself thinking of their relationship and how much it was blossoming yet the next minute I was crying at the  fact that they two of them could not touch or go any closer to each other then six feet apart. I do love that Stella decided to take the huge risk to be five feet apart instead of six. Both her and Will know how much their illness has taken from them and the fact they take back one foot closer to each other is amazing and shows us what risks people will take for who they love and how people can fight for what they want.

Okay okay I am about to move on to the point of the book that had me in tears and really pulled at my heart strings... I must put it out there that this is a major spoiler!! The death of Poe... Stella's best friend who was with her since she was six and got her diagnosis. When I say this was an emotional roller-coaster this is what I mean. About a page or two before Poe's death it is Will's 18th and everyone is having a joyful enjoyable time yet two pages later Poe dies. His death was heartbreaking as it was not expected and the fact Stella had already lost her sister then lost her best friend  just broke my heart and made me really sympathise for her.

When reading this book it felt like all Stella faced was loss. As already mentioned she lost her sister and her best friend then not to mention how much her illness took away from her too. To make it even worse, Will then leaves her after her surgery. When reading this I felt terrible for Will because he meant well and his only priority was Stella's life and ensuring that she was safe. The way Will only cared about Stella and even though he was hurting when leaving her it was really special to know he loved Stella so much to put himself through that pain.

I know there has been a lot of spoilers in this post and so I am not going to tell you how it ends, instead I am going to do my usual thing and end my post with a quote from the book 'Don't think about how much you have lost think of how much you have to gain, live.'                                   

Comments

Popular Posts