Exciting Times


 I have to say Exciting Times was one of the most witty, light and interesting books that I have a read. I couldn't set it down and read it within a day. 

 Ava leaves Ireland to make her own money teaching in Hong Kong however, her new adventure involves a lot more than just English teaching. It also involves Julian who lets Ava move into his guest room and buy her anything she desires as well as Edith who Ava meets whilst Julian is on a work trip. 

Ava and Julian are what you call complicated...The two of them lack communication and refuse to tell each other how they feel. Personally I see this more from Julian in certain aspects however I will leave that for you to read and decide. I do think Ava gets more confused with how she feels as the novel progresses however not towards Julian as such, just in general as she begins trying to figure out her sexuality. When Ava meets Edith things get more complicated as begins to realise she may have romantic feelings for her. Through her confusion, Ava beings to make choices which personally did not sit right with me. For example, she began bringing Edith into Julian's home romantically without his knowledge whilst keeping her complicated relationship with Julian a secret from Edith. To Edith Julian is simply a 'friend' of Ava's. 

 I want to keep this post short and sweet similar to the book itself. I also want to avoid major spoilers as it is an outstanding read filled with excitement which I do not want to ruin! However, I will say that looking at the confusion Ava faced, it proves that everything happens for a reason. We will never get what we want handed to us and we will always have to face the storm before being able to see the rainbow. It is the same for Ava, she had to battle herself to figure out who she was and what she wanted...did it go smooth sailing for her? Of course not! Nothing will be smooth sailing but eventually everything will turn out okay and if it is not okay it simply is not the end! 

Speaking of endings, I will end this post with my usual strategy of a quote from this fantastic novel  “I thought that if i let anyone in, they’d find out what was broken about me. And then not only would they know, i’d know too.” 


Comments

Popular Posts